Editor’s note: This post is part of the Disney Blog Carnival. Head over there to see more great Disney-related posts and articles.
Key lime pie.
Characterized by its tart, yet sweet, creamy interior, a golden crumbly crust and whipped cream topping, key lime pie evokes a symphony of emotions and flavors. One bite and you’re transported to a swinging hammock off the coast of Florida. The warm, salty air glistening off your cheeks. A frozen drink with a teeny colored umbrella in your hand.
Wanting a trip to the tropics, I pulled out “Cooking with Mickey and the Disney Chefs,” a cookbook that includes recipes from Walt Disney World Resort in Florida, Disneyland Resort in California and the Disney Cruise Line. The recipe for Key Lime Pie from Olivia’s Cafe at Disney’s Old Key West Resort needs only four ingredients. In about three hours (mostly waiting for the pie to chill), you can be transported to The Keys, and you barely need to know how to cook. Just stir and turn the oven on.
Olivia’s Cafe is located at Old Key West Resort, one of Disney’s Vacation Club resorts. The 761-room hotel exudes the romance and luxury of the Florida Keys.
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1 can (14 ounces ) sweetened condensed milk
- 2/3 cup Key lime juice (I used bottled Key lime juice since there were not Key limes available at the market.)
- 1 prepared 9-inch graham cracker pie crust
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Gently whisk the yolks together in a bowl, do not let them foam.
- Stirring constantly, slowly blend in the sweetened condensed milk and the Key lime juice.
- Pour the mixture into the pie crust and bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until set.
- Remove the pie from the oven and cool to room temperature on a wire rack.
- Chill, covered, until very cold.
- Serve chilled, cut into wedges. (I used some ReddiWip to decorate and just cut some limes into wedges for garnish. You could also use a zester and add some lime zest or even candied limes for a garnish instead.)
Olivia’s Cafe’s most recent menu doesn’t have the Key Lime Pie on it, but it does have a Key Lime Tart with Mango and Raspberry Sauce for $5.49.