I started thinking this weekend about what would be on my culinary bucketlist. What foods or culinary-related experiences do I want to try before I die.
There are just so many things I still want to do in my life. Leaving North America is tops on the list. I have always dreamed of touring Venice, London, Madrid, Tokyo and so many other destinations, each with their own unique food experiences. Yet, there are so many parts of this country I still want to experience like trekking down Route 66 and coasting up the Pacific Coast Highway.
Below is just my working list that I have started to compile about things I’d love to try in my lifetime. I thought posting them on my 31st birthday would be a good kick to get started on some of ’em…
- Beignets at Cafe DuMonde in New Orleans
- Dinner at Chez Panisse in Berkeley, Calif.
- Weekend vacation in Napa Valley’s famed “Wine Country”
- Barbecue Tour of the U.S. (Memphis, Texas, Carolinas, and Kansas City)
- A hot dog with the stars at Pink’s in Hollywood
- Speaking of hot dogs, see the annual Fourth of July Hot Dog Eating Contest at Coney Island’s Nathan Famous Hot Dogs
- Have a steak at the 125-year-old Peter Luger’s Steakhouse in NYC (voted the city’s best steak for 28 straight years)
- Try Spam Musubi (sushi) in Hawaii
- Actually try a lobster in Maine
- Visit Seattle’s famous Pike Place Fish Market
- Get asked “What’ll you have?” at The Varsity in Atlanta
- Milk a cow (I am originally from Wisconsin so it seems like something we should know how to do)
- Indulge in the original Boston Creme Pie at the Omni Parker House Hotel
- Get whatever Meg Ryan ordered in “When Harry Met Sally” at Katz Delicatessen in NYC
- Order Trader Vic’s original Mai Tai
- Buffalo wings from the originator of the game-day classic at the Anchor Bar in Buffalo, NY
- End the debate of which Philly cheese steak is better – Geno’s Steaks or Pat’s King of Steaks
- Cool down with a slice of key lime pie in Key West, Fla. and check out the Ernest Hemingway look-a-like contest at Sloppy Joe’s Bar
Other experiences and international destinations
- Visit the Philippines to try foods from my heritage (I can’t narrow it down to just one item, there are just SO many I want to try)
- Meet Chef Gordon Ramsay (uber crush on him!)
- Tour the America’s Test Kitchen studios in metro Boston
- Find the best croissant and cup of coffee in Paris, France
- Chow down on some classic fish ‘n chips in London and wash it down with a pint of Guinness
- Bake and decorate baby’s first birthday cake (The more accurate item since we don’t have kids then would be to take a formal cake decorating class)
What makes your culinary bucket list? Leave your thoughts in the comment section below!